Poverty!
I just received an exciting package in the mail today. I got a new picture of my precious sponsor child Afework! But I was sad to see that there was no smile on his face. I have sponsored Afework since late 2000 and he was soon to be 9 years old. He now is quickly approaching 15. I fear that his hard life of poverty and missing family are taking a toll on him in his difficult teenage years.
But I became even more sad as I read a friend's blog a few minutes later and found that his family's sponsor son, Sakulu had died
"A big storm blew through Sakulu’s town of Masaka (two hours from the capital city of Kampala) and downed some power lines. Sakulu, 8, apparently stepped on a live wire and was killed instantly, a tragic end to a very difficult life."
Part of my heart morns for his loss. But is it not his gain? Has he not been set free from a world that had destined him to be treated like trash by all but a precious few?
I know we will always have poverty and pain in this life but at the same time there will always be more that can be done to help stand up for those that are so easily neglected.
Hearing of Sakulu's death really made me realize how important Afework is to me. I can't imagine receiving a letter from Compassion telling me of Afework's death. He is always in my heart. Always in my pocket. And oh so often on my lips as I jump on opportunities to pull out his picture and tell people about my pride and joy.
I often hesitate to call him family because no matter how broken it may be, Afework does have family. But today made me realize that despite that hesitation in my words it is clear that in my heart he is my first son.
I know I have posted about Compassion International before, but I once again encourage you:
If you are not sponsoring a child in a third world country. Please take a moment to pray and consider taking a risk on sacrificing for a child in poverty.
When I first started sponsoring Afework I wasn't sure I would have the money to donate each month. But God has always been more than faithful! I have never been short on a gift to give and I have certainly never been in a place where meeting my own needs was ever in doubt. I've never known hunger or want. In fact I'm not sure my mind can even actually grasp what those two things truly are. I am a citizen of the richest country on earth and I dare say every American has $1.06 a day to spare to help someone who has nothing.
OK that sounds a bit harsh but I choose to let those words stand.
Thanks for aways being here to listen to what is on my heart!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home