Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Passing on a gift

So Sunday was Mothers Day here in Japan as well as in the sates, but I was very surprised to find out that here in Japan phone calls to mothers are very rare. But almost everyone sends a red carnation to their mother. It is amazing to see the ways that Japan functions in such unity. While times are changing here in Japan the general rule has been that there is one right way to do things and everyone should do it that way. And perfectly if possible. For cutting vegetables to giving gifts.

Even before I learned this I had been considering sending my mom flowers for Mothers Day. But we live in a small town and I'm not sure how delivery would work and where to best order from online so I ended up running out of time.

But I got a second chance last night, so to speak, when I went to teach my English class. (Here are some of the students when we went out to celebrate Ruth Ann's birthday)



During class Eri, who is a mother herself, presented me with freshly cut flowers from her garden. I just started teaching this class in April and so she said they were Welcome flowers.
Well I decided the best thing to do with these flowers was to pass them along (virtually) to my mom.



So sorry these are a bit late but I hope you enjoy them Mom.


Thanks for all the ways you showed me love.
Times when you pushed me to my best.
Or longed to hold on tight,
But chose to let me grow.
For giving me the freedom to be the man I am.
And most of all for making Jesus' Love feel real.
Thanks for sharing me with Japan for a few years, Mom.
I look forward to the day we spend Mother Day together again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home