Friday, February 02, 2007

Happi Daiyo

I just finished spending two long days at the Japanese DMV. I forgot that the first day was a paper work day and the second day was the actual test day. But today was finally the day! And all I can say is

BOOYA, BABY! I TOTALLY OWNED THAT TEST!!!

That’s right I got my Japanese drivers license today!

I am now in elite company here in Japan. Few foreigners pass on their first try, and many take 4, 6, 9, or more times to pass the driving exam. I would say 30 people drove today and about 6 passed, and I was the only one trying for the first time today, the others were all on multiple tries.

Ai went with me, as I mentioned in my last post, and was a huge help to me. But I was also able to do much more than I expected on my own. A lot of pointing and a word or two of English from the Japanese staff here and there, and just following the crowd at other times, made it go pretty smoothly.

Unfortunately Ai wasn’t able to pass today. (Update: She passed on her second try on Thursday!!!) But really the main reason I passed was that Ruth Ann put together a bunch of information on the whole process so I knew what I was in store for me when I got there. SO MAJOR THANKS TO RA for making this so much less of a burden on me and hopefully future staff.

One problem many people face is that they don’t really know the course from the start. He is only saying migi-right or hidari-left, and numbers like jyu-ichiban But trying to get your brain to translate what the instructor is saying and trying to check your mirrors enough times in a space of 20 to 50 meters while traveling 20 km per hour is just so difficult.


All in all it was by the grace of God that I passed this on the first try regardless of any other studying I did.

It’s so good to have this out of the way! Now I can focus on new adventures! And believe me that are a few that are already jumping into this new opening in my time.

Thanks for all your prayers they definitely helped keep me calm in those long tense moments when I was waiting for my turn (Ai and I both were almost the last to drive) and then when I was out on the course.

Since I was at the DMV on my day off this week, I am now enjoying the evening off!!!

I’ll post this when our internet is back up and running at Aim High.

Thanks again!

4 Comments:

At 5:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Keith!

I am glad that it went well for you. :-) Enjoy driving in Japan.

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew you could do it little bro!!!!!!! WHOOOHAAAAA!!!! Haven't I always said you're the best and smartest brother anyone could have. With all the support you had over there and God on your side it was like David and Goliath, looks like in the end it only took 1 stone and some confidence to step up and face it head on. Now you can really have fun in that blue car of yours. Love ya! Sis

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger FarmWife said...

Way to go, Keith! Maybe it's genetic...Husband is sure he'd pass on the first try...I think he may be forgetting the whole language barrier!

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger The Master of Master Key said...

BOOYA? Do they show Mad Money with Jim Cramer in Japan?

Seriously, man, praise the Lord for the license! I just relocated your blog after losing the link, so I do look forward to reading more updates.

Later, skee-daddy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home