Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A day of surprises

Hey ya'll

This past Sunday held some surprises for me. After church I usually drive my friend Marikit home and then get ready for a full day of sports with BEST Club.


Well, this Sunday Keiichi asked me if I want to go to the local Mitsubishi dealership with him. Maybe you aren't a car person but Keiichi and I are!

This past weekend was the unveiling of the new EVO X. It's a rally car turned street sports car. They only built about 5000 each year and they run about 4000000 yen. ($40,000)
When we got there and was a beautiful black EVO sitting out front!
And just like Keiichi thought they were offering test drives!!
And we soon learned this this was the only test car in our whole prefecture!

So we quickly signed up for a ride in this car:

It was a 5 speed manual so I decided that I should pass on the test drive. (soon they will have a 6 speed shiftless manual avalable, totaly state of the art!) I don't think they would like it if I had missed or grinded a gear. (and I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford the repair bill!)

So I signed up to drive the Sport Editon of the Lancer which is a more basic version of this same car. It had the paddle shifter on the steering wheel like a formula 1 race car and was a blast to drive!

As soon as we returned from my little trip in the lancer the EVO was ready for Keiichi to drive. Our hearts started racing! We got in and found ourselves sitting in real racing seats; which were amazing at holding you in your seat. As we looked more closely we saw that there was no radio and the salesman told us there also we no speakers behind the door moldings. They were all removed to save weight.

The car was a little quieter than we expected but it did have a good exhuast note, and the slight whine as the tubo reved up was awesome. Again, probably something most people don't notice, but Keiichi and I loved it!

After a bit of driving we got out on the main road and Keiichi asks the young salesman: "Dashyu daijyobu?" (can I go fast for a second?)

The reply, as we waited for the light to turn green: "Hai" (sure)

Yatta! (YESS, Jackpot!!)

So the light changes and Keiichi gives it a safe but strong hit to the accelerator and in a matter or seconds were at 120km per hour (75mph). And Keiichi was by no means at fully throttle. It was seriously the FASTEST car I have ever been in. 300hp in a super light weight compact car is amazing!

We were both smiling like crazy the rest of the ride. And on and off for the next hour we would just look at each other and smile and laugh. It was so much fun!

In fact Keiichi and I decided to go down to the Tokyo Auto Show the first of next month. We can hardly wait!

Well, as we finished our ride we soon found ourselves invited to join some other BEST students for a trip up to Kanuma's Fall Festival.


Two of our students (one a current member of my Bible Study and another who looks like he might join this semester) were participating in the parade pulling the ancient wood wagon. We all had a great time walking and talking and eatting great festival food. And they were both so greatful that we came out to support them.

By the end of the night we were all exhuasted, but it was well worth it.

Sorry if you not a car nut but I had to share my exciting story :)

Just as a little extra excitment, I guess, I just got rocked by the strongest earthquake I've felt since I got here. Wow! It rumbled and swayed and then peaked and then rose up and shook again even harder? My floor was shaking pretty good and the glass in the window was vibrating too. It must have been at least 30 seconds if not more. It was long! I'm inland and away from any fault line so it will be intresting to see where the actually origin was. And how strong it was at the epicenter. Wow!

4 Comments:

At 11:50 PM, Blogger FarmWife said...

I have to admit, the earth quake thing still freaks me out...but then I guess it's no different than living in tornado alley!

Glad you're safe & having a good time!

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think my little Mazda would compare.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Keith said...

They aren't as scary as I thought they would be. But yeah it's alot like the whole tornado thing. Being near one is one thing. Being at the center of one is a completely different. This one was actually a 4.9 it looks like and it was deep but inland. Often they are out in the ocean and then we feel it in land. So I guess that's why this one felt stronger. But you have be over 6 before things get dangerous.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Yeah I think the 148hp that you Mazda puts out might not be able to keep up.

And here in Japan Mazada calls "Ti" the Axela, not the 3. In case you were interested.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home