Friday, November 06, 2009

And it all comes flooding back

Suddenly my phone rings.
Surprised I look down to see: Unknown.
Unknown often means a call coming from Skype.

As I flip open the phone my ear is greeted with
the beautiful sound of Japanese.

I feel my heart beat a little faster and a smile spread across my face
as I myself respond in Japanese.

On the phone was my friend Mandy with exciting stories (in English) of her recent engagement and memories of all of us in Japan helping her plan the outfit for her First Date (which was also the last time we saw each other). Such a great memory from my final 40 days in Japan.


Well, now Mandy is the one with 40 days left till she returns home. It was such a blessing to think back to my final days. The sad goodbyes, and moments where God's voice whispered words of encouragement into my heart. Words which challenged me to press deeper into my trust of the unseen future that He has planned. I was honored to share my transition experience with Mandy, to help her prepare for what's ahead, just as friends did for me during my final 40 days.


I pray that over these next 40 days Mandy too will have the blessing of precious goodbyes and words of peace from God. From the month that I was blessed to spend in Shizuoka with their BEST Club (while studying Japanese), it was very clear to me that Mandy and Elbert were really in the early stages of building some special friendships and life long memories with the students in BEST. I trust that the upcoming goodbyes will show Mandy just how much God has used her to deeply impact Shizuoka.


It was good to have my heart opened to Japan once again. To have memories come flooding back. Today images of rolling mountains covered with green trees make me long for Japan and excited for my trip in December. Yet as the trip draws closer I also feel sorrow growing. After this trip it is unclear when another return trip might be possible. Each phone call, email, or trip is yet another marker of my life transitioning away from Japan. The door of this adventure from my past comes more and more to a close. More students graduate, more staff friends return to the states. A new generation of BEST Club moves forward, as it should. And my life moves on, as it should. But that sorrow is there, hidden below or stirred to the surface.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home