Friday, August 15, 2008

Home? Home sick?

I'm having home issues lately.

The summer friends went home.

I'm home alone here in Japan as I recover from the summer.

My roommates went home for the big summer holiday, Obon (a time to remember those who have died family members ect.) .

My "home" here (Aim High House) is likely closing and my roommates may not be my roommates.

I'd like to go home next month to visit my family but I would also really like to not have to spend $1500. Instead (among various other things that need my attention) I could work on my Japanese so I can finish my final months well. My busy summer meant almost no language study and it is really showing :(

I'd have to say I don't really get home sick. I mean I miss my family but over all I keep in touch and updated one everyone's life so it seems like I'm not missing much.

BUT... it's been a busy year here and back home there have been illnesses and a lot of sad events that have only kind of hit me, since I'm so far away.

What I've been missing really hit me tonight. I was looking at some family photos on line and I saw my baby cousin. The youngest. The little boy I would play silly games with for hours on end whenever I visited. BUT he's not a little boy anymore. In the photo I could have totally mistaken him for his older brother who just finished college! It really shocked me and made me sad.

I have been so blessed to visit home each September. Other Mid-Termers in Japan don't have USA Trips to join each year and, therefore, often spend the full 2 or 3 years without a visit home.

And then thinking of long term missionaries from years ago who left home and were lucky to get a short phone call in once a month or visits every 5 to 10 years or less. WOW. Those people made some serious sacrifices.

So I don't know what September holds but tonight I'm thinking of Home Sweet Home.

I am grateful for my family and the technology that let me "see and hear" them even while I'm away. But even still. I MISS THEM! :(

1 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WANT TO GIVE YOU A BIG HUG!!!!!!
you sound how I feel (read my blog) but for different reasons. If you ever get time, and I ever get time we should talk. take much care and *HUG*(virtual hug)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home