Thursday, July 17, 2008

Crazy? Yes. But I'd do it again

The rest of the Fuji photos are now up

It had been rumored for months and then written off as not possible for our summer teams schedule. And for me it was an event that had been missed since the Summer of 2004.

What event am I speaking of?

Climbing Mt. Fuji!

My first try: Summer 2004

I did a home stay with a friend and missed my chance to climb. It was a great trip and I wouldn't have changed it for anything.
Second try: Summer 2006

I was invited by the summer team to climb but I had pulled a hamstring and wasn't up for a hike. They got 3/4 of the way up and after being knocked over time and time again by the blowing wind they had to turn back.

Third try: Summer 2007
It was all set. The summer team and I were going to invite some students to come with us and then we would join Tokyo Best on their climb. Then Lauren and I got both got wiped out sick and we had to back out.

Fourth try: Sunday July 13, 2008
The drive to Fuji was great. The weather was beautiful but hazy. I drove as Bryan and the summer team chatted away. We almost found the answers to all of life's problems, but in the end fell just a bit short. In the final leg of our drive it started to rain and we all got a bit worried but it quickly cleared and we had a beautiful night in front of us.


We tried to sleep for an hour but it never happened. So at 11:30 pm we struck out and soon settled into hiking mode. As we hiked we watched the night pass before us. Staring at the Milky Way, shooting stars, and a beautiful 3/4 moon that turned orange as it sank back down in to the horizon.

The hike was rough at times with some wind and many steep spots (we took the most direct path to the top) the air got colder and colder as it got thinner and thinner. The final 100 meters felt like they would never end as my legs, stomach, and head all seriously ached. 3776meters (or 12388 ft) is no joke. But I've heard the 14ers out in Colorado are a whole 'nother world.

Len and I battled this final portion just as the sky turned orange and we reached the top after 5 hours of climbing. We were rewarded with a beautiful sunrise coloring the cloudy sky. PERFECT!

The hike down was tough on the knees but the lightly cloudy skies kept us from worries of sun burn and over heating. It was amazing to see the length and the terrain that we had covered the night before in the dark. My legs wanted to collapse as we neared the end, yet at the bottom with normal oxygen restored I felt full of energy and ready to go. So after being awake 24 hours I was some how able to drive us all the way home as well. On the way back we were rewarded with a rare haze free view of Fuji from the expressway [but the summer team was a sleep with the camera in the back :( ].

I got a little tired on the way out of Tokyo but then a great conversation about what it really means to live life got my heart pumping again and kept me fired up and alert for the final leg. In the end we coasted into Utsu on fumes with 635km on the tank of gas!

We all expected to be sore for the next few days but were amazed to find ourselves feeling good the very next day.

So despite the fact that the whole way down I was saying NEVER AGAIN! I now think I would enjoy trying a hike like that again some day.
Here's a final shot of out team at the top. And hopefully I'll get the data from the other climbers and post those to my photo page. But here's the start


3 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger Jer said...

ack! way cool! i'm glad you finally got to climb mt. fuji! hahah!

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so Great!!!
I so wish I had been there ;)
It seems to have taken awhile, but I'm glad you got to, one less regret and one more great story!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Yeah it was an amazing time I'm really glad it finally worked out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home