Time to reflect
With some time off after a busy semester of grad school, I've had some time to slow down and dwell in some memories from Japan. This mostly came from catching up on some special moments that have occurred this year in Japan through posts on Facebook and holiday wishes sent from Japan. But the greatest moment came New Years Eve as I witnessed Sarah's wedding (a dear friend and teammate from Japan) and got to visit with other friends from Japan who were in attendance as well. It was a great way to finish out 2010!It has been quite a blessing to connect my heart to Japan again. But I was surprised as I was introducing myself to someone the other day. As we talked it came up that I had been in Japan and I said I got back this past spring. But can you really call spring 2009 "this past spring" when I sit here now and it is 2011?? I returned to the states in 2009!! So often it feel like I have been home perhaps 9 months but this spring will be two years back stateside... I don't know how to describe it but it is strange to think that I've been home 2/3 of the length of time that I was gone.
Sadly some names and memories fade, but it is also amazing to see how strongly Japan clings to my heart even as the time passes. My time in Japan change my life and taught me lessons about myself, this world, and God's far reaching and faithful power.
So as 2011 and beyond unfolds I may find fewer chances in random introductions to have my heart stirred for Japan but it is my deep prayer that it never just becomes "something I did" long ago.
Be careful never to forget what you yourself have seen. Do not let these memories escape from your mind as long as you live! And be sure to pass them on to your children and grandchildren. Deuteronomy 4:9

1 Comments:
so great to hear about your continued heart for japan, keith. its encouraging me to savor every day...even the very very cold ones! your impact is far reaching in japan and in light of eternity, japan will never become a thing you just did in the past.
Post a Comment
<< Home