Arigato
If I am right I have surprisingly never used that as a Title before. And what better time than Thanksgiving to say Thank You(Arigato).It's getting late so I should be brief but I just wanted to say thanks for a few things.
1. Peoples faithful support. It is so amazing that what started out as "only" 80% of the big amount of money that I needed to come to Japan; has now, through God's faithfulness through many of you, resulted in my ability to live out this third year in Japan. I am deeply thankful for this.
2. I am Thankful that even with family health issues this year I see God's hand guiding and protecting my family. I am so thankful that I was able to get time at home to see both of my grandmothers back in September. And I pray that I will see them again in the Spring.
3. I am Thankful for the eyes that Japan gives me in viewing Christianity. Sadly I am four months away from the end of my time but right now I am just soaking it in. Today on two occasions I was struck with the uniqueness of Japanese politeness and humility and it's affect on faith. I was reminded today of a dear friend who often says Iesu-san when speaking of Jesus. That basically means Mr. Jesus. She is not a believer, yet, but in her heart and in her speech she wants to deeply honor Jesus and the love he has surrounded her with in the BEST Club.
It also hit me earlier in the day while preparing for tomorrow's Senior Bible time with two wonderful young believing Japanese women. We have been looking at the life of Peter. How he rises boldly in faith and yet so often fumbles in that same faith. One of the young ladies suddenly stopped and just started reflecting on her thankfulness for Peter's life and example. How he encourages her to continue on even though she too, like us all, falls in her faith. Up to that point we had been taking about Petero. But as she was expressing her thankfulness she naturally said Petero-san.
These events reminded me of the casualness that is built into the English language. I could never say Mr. Peter, or Mr. Jesus. And growing up around Christianity my whole life the depth of the blessing of the Bible, and the peoples lives share with in it, some times gets lost in my life. But here in Japan, in the BEST Club, I am blessed with the opportunity to see faith from a new fresh perspective. And for that I am MOST THANKFUL this year!

2 Comments:
Thank you for stepping up for another year of Japanese goodness. And thank you for looking after me while I was there. Peace!
Seeing Jesus through fresh eyes - there's nothing like it and I'm thankful for that too!
Post a Comment
<< Home