Hideki My Hiro
This post is dedicated my friend Hideki. Hideki and I were partners on the ropes course challenge during the Senior Trip. It was a great time at Green Park near Utsunomiya. At one point Sarah's feet were totally twisted in the ropes and she was about to go into the water head first. Hideki rushed back to help and with out a second thought he jumped into the water to rescue Sarah.
I was deeply humbled by Hideki's actions, as I supported my partner to help him rescue our friend.
This image was burned into my brain the rest of the afternoon and continues to come to my mind over and over again. For two reasons:
First, I saw myself safely on the river bank reaching out my hand to help Sarah but also thinking about protecting myself. While Hideki was able to move past himself and serve others first.
Second, a few minutes after this rescue took place I saw the scene change in front of my eyes. I saw myself in Sarah's place with fear in my eyes clinging tightly to "the rope of this life" too scared and weak to take a hold of the hand of help reaching out to me. Then I saw Hideki in the water and while he was still Hideki it was like he was also Jesus jumping into the water and coming to rescue me. Coming along underneath my weakness and fears to carry all of me in His arms; to guide me to safety through no work of my own (specifically no self-protective thoughts and actions).
It has become quite clear that these fears have a stronghold in some corner of my heart and the Lord wants to refine me and remove these lies from my heart through my experiences here in Japan. Please keep me in your prayers; that I will surrender my self-protective thoughts and ways and let Jesus and the friends and family He has placed around me be my protectors instead.
A final note:
Hideki is
not a believer, though his actions show that he has a deep understand of trust and commitment. Hideki is about to head out into the Japanese working world. He has said in the past with much excitement and surprise that he has heard God knocking on his heart. Yet, in spite of this, he has not yet chosen to open the door. As the seniors have said goodbye to each other and to the group, time and time again, tears have rolled down Hideki's face as he spoke of the love he has felt in the BEST Club. Please join me in praying for Hideki. The struggles and loneliness of Japanese working life will be unavoidable for Hideki. But my prayer is that a blessing of this pain will be that Hideki will once again hear that knocking on his heart and this time he will open the door to the love that Jesus wants to pour out into his life!
Revelations 3:20 CEV
Listen! I am standing and knocking at your door. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home